Saturday 31 December 2011

A New Year, A New You!!

Ok so how many times have you made a New Years resolution only to abandon it mid january? It feels so empowering as the clock strikes 12 New Years eve to think this year will be different. We make all sorts of promises we could never keep in a realistic world, but at New Years it feels like change is really possible. We feel confident that we can definately stick to it this time and this new lease of energy makes us feel good about ourselves. Maybe some of that is the alcohol, but I think we should use that energy to actually make changes that we know we can achieve.

Instead of expecting to be a completely changed, perfect version of yourself by New Years Day, it's better to try and think of changes a little more 'down to earth'.

I'm never going to touch a cigerette becomes I'm going to reduce the number I smoke gradually.

I'm going to drop two dress sizes becomes I'm going to make small changes to make my diet healthier and introduce more activity

I'm going to recover completely from my illness becomes I'm going to tackle the the things that I know I'm strong enough to handle, one day at a time

There's nothing wrong with having a long term goal - but the way you achieve that is small steps at a time. It doesn't happen over night. It takes time, work, and perserverance to make changes to your life. If you wake up New Years Day expecting to be able to change completely, when you can't acheive it several days, weeks, down the line, you'll feel like a failure and chances are, you'll give up on yourself.

Remember, change is not always a straight line, it's ok to go backwards -  no one is perfect! Don't expect too much at once, you should not be expected to always get it right. And above all, enjoy the steps along the way. If you think, When I get to point A, I will be happy chances are that when you get to point A, you will not find the completeness that you desire. The key is to love and enjoy every moment. The perfect you does not exist - if you love who you are with all the flaws, there's nothing more perfect than that!!

Happy New Year x

No comments:

Post a Comment