Monday 12 December 2011

Make Your Own Christmas Cards With Material Scraps!

This is something I've been working on over the last two weeks. I found some gorgeous christmas material in a fabric shop and thought they'd be perfect for christmas cards!! I know they aren't the most professional looking cards, but I enjoyed making them and as a beginner, I feel very proud of my little cards!


I used a fabric that had lots of christmas images that where very easy to cut out into squares. I also used ribbons, stick on jewels, beads, gold and silver tissue paper, card, and spray glue.


Firstly I cut out the squares of fabric I liked. I cut out a square of either silver and gold tissue paper and stuck them to the card using spray glue. I prefer spray glue because it hold really well and it doesn't crinkle like PVA can. I then played around with the fabric until I found an arrangement I was happy with. I then spray glued the fabric to the card and left to dry.

I used a variety of things to embellish the cards - some were more time consuming than others, but all look very christmas and shiny! The quicker cards I used ribbon to outline the material (like the reindeer and snowman card at the top of the post). I also used sticky gems to add a little extra something.

My favourite cards took a little longer, so I didn't do as many as I liked. I sewed beads onto the material (as you can see on the left) by making a stitch and threading a bead or two down the thread and continuing with the stick. I tried to match the beads with the colours, so lots of golds, greens and red, to keep it traditional!

I finished my cards with a little 'Merry Christmas' label which i glued on.

Overall I'm glad how they turned out. I was struggling to come up with ideas, but when I came across the material I was inspired! The smaller cards took about two hours each, but the cards with beads took about an extra hour, but I think it was worth it! Next year I think I'll start a little sooner, so I can sew lots more beads!





Like I said, not too professional, but hopefully my friends and family appreciate the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment